Above all, the biggest joy of this job is seeing the kids onstage. Any downside to this job, whether that be the nomadic lifestyle, difficult kids, or an exhausted voice, is magically wiped away by the smiles of the kids as they leave the theatre on Saturday night. These kids accomplished so much in just a few days. For some it was just the challenge of learning songs and lines in a short amount of time. For others it was gaining the ability to speak and sing in front of 150 people. Some just had fun. But no matter how much or how little, every kid came away with something this week and that's how it is every week. What a blessing to be a part of that! As one kid wrote in a thank you note, "Jake and Mallory, thank you for teaching me how to do the play." That's very simple, but when you think about what the play meant for these kids, that means a lot. Her mother also thanked us for teaching her children how to "Be committed, be expressive, and be courageous."
To every parent that thanks us for what we've done with their kids we reply, "It's our pleasure," and honestly, it is a pleasure. It can be a lot of work as anybody who works with kids can tell you, but it's worth it. So tired as I am, I look forward to opening more stubborn fruit snack packages and water bottles. I look forward to tying more shoes. I look forward to more pumpkins having trouble with their costumes. I look forward to reassuring frightened mice backstage. I look forward to signing more shirts and programs for eager kids. And I look forward to seeing more smiles just before the lights go down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Jake. There is such a sweetness to this post, but I am especially moved, because it seems like this job/experience really really REALLY fits you. I'm excited for you.
Future Teacher . . . . You know it fits your personality so stop resisting it.
Brother B
I might agree with Ben. Teaching is in the blood (the blood that has clotting issues).
Sarah
Yep. :)
I completely agree!! I love the kids that are so excited to do the show that they look like they might bust. You can actually see them busting!
Post a Comment