July 11, 2007

Keep Your Hands to Yourself

Today was an unexpected touchy-feely day for me, and I don't mean emotionally. In the morning session, I was working with the Pumpkins. These kids are 5-7 years old and as their age dictates, they can be a handful some times. The group this week is fun, but very giggly and has had a bit of trouble following rule number three: keep your hands to yourself. Usually this rule is to keep the kids from pestering or hurting one another, but for Mallory and me, this rule is useful for avoiding awkward situations. And as adults who work with young children, avoiding awkward situations is important.

I was teaching them their big song, "Pumpkin Pie," a song so adorable that the parents hardly notice what the words are. Near the end of the song, all of the pumpkins but one run off stage. The straggler peels off from the group and sneaks behind Patches (me) in order to surprise him after a couple of lines. I explained this to the last pumpkin in line, a five year old named Kristin, and had her give it a try. I turn my back to sing and the next thing I know, Kristin has latched on to the seat of my pants with both hands. I quickly had to tell her that she need not goose me, only stay behind me. She then proceeds to stand directly behind me at a very uncomfortable distance. Luckily, she understood me when I told her she needed to stay back a few feet so the audience could see her.

But not only did a five year old grab my butt, but during lunch, after a few surprise hugs from a very sociable girl (always a bit awkward in this job), I had a bigger surprise. One of the girls gave me a sticker and I asked her where I should stick it. She advised that I put it on my shirt, so I did. The boy I was sitting next to told me he had a better idea, ripped the sticker off my shirt, and proceeded to jam it into my crotch. Thankfully, it was a painless blow. He had to be reminded of rule number three while I removed the sticker and placed it in a more appropriate locale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

super touching story....ash