Isn't this title a great example of alliteration? I thought so. After a great week in Salem, Mallory and I hit the road for Michigan Sunday morning. Above are a few shots of Salem, including the dilapidated "WELCOME" at our hotel and a enormous cross just north on the interstate. We took a lunch break in Indianapolis and stopped in the capitol building for a look around. Cool building with a beautiful stained glass ceiling in the rotunda, but I still don't think it tops Olympia. Better than Nashville, though. Four capitols visited, forty-six to go. We then strolled down the road to the impressive War Memorial smack dab in the middle of downtown. It's a huge obelisk adorned with statuary and fountains memorializing the Civil War. A beautiful focal point for the city.
After a bite to eat, we hopped on the road to find some dessert. My good friend Kelsey went to Taylor University in Upland, IN just off the interstate and she suggested Ivanhoe's for some good ice cream. Now Upland doesn't look like a very big place in any way, half the population may have been in the Ice Cream shop when we stopped, but apparently they know about sundaes. As we waited in a lengthy line, I perused the menu of 100 different sundae/shake choices. I finally settled on the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Sundae. Very tasty and reasonably priced, unlike some ice cream places (I'm talking about you Cold Stone). You can see above how much I enjoyed it.
Now we're in Dearborn, Michigan a few miles outside the Motor City. The facility we're working in is phenomenal. It's a community and performing arts center complete with a 1200 seat fully equipped theatre, a huge fitness center, two pools, a rock wall, a senior center, a cafeteria, two gyms, and conference facilities. I added a link to the right so you can check it out. Very nice place. We're getting the feeling that there are parts of Dearborn that have a bit of money. Just down the road from us is the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village, a recreated Victorian village complete with the Wright brothers bicycle shop and Edison's light bulb. We're going to go see all that fun stuff on Saturday I think, compliments of our hosts. Well, I've got some work to do and dinner to eat, 'til next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment