Driving through Michigan isn’t any more exciting than many of the other states we’ve been driving through. That is until you cross the Mackinac Bridge and head west on US-2. The Mackinac Bridge (pronounced Mackinaw) is a spectacular sight. A giant with pinstripes of steel cable and twin towers soaring above the water. It straddles the Mackinac Strait, connecting Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, a beautiful expanse of blue water and forested shores. The amount of water surrounding the bridge makes it almost appear to be floating in mid air, barely tethered to the land on each side.
Once across we took US-2 along the lake to Manistique, a town of about 4500 smack dab on the shores of Lake Michigan. It’s no wonder why people live in this town. A beautiful setting with a plethora of water, woods, and wilderness within a day’s drive (or walk); some of the most down to earth, grounded people; a friendly and hospitable population; and all the charm of an American small town. It is small here, but everyone we’ve talked to here, even the kids, aren’t itching to get outta Dodge. There seems to be an understanding among residents that whatever the drawbacks may be, the benefits of living here decisively outweigh the costs. I don’t know if this is accurate or not, but those that I’ve met and talked with seem to have a better grasp on what’s important in life than most.
Our hosts for the week are the Ryans, Christi (who is the driving force behind us being here) and her two kids Coby and Rachel. And to say they’ve been good hosts would be an understatement. We feel a bit spoiled this week. Wonderful meals including U.P. specialties like Grandma’s homemade pasties and freshly caught whitefish have kept us full all week, sometimes too full. Walks along the lake boardwalk and Dance Dance Revolution in the evening have kept us moving. And that undefinable quality that pervades the air here has made me feel at home, like an honorary citizen or an extra member of the family. Being able to feel like I belong rather than feel like a traveller, even for just a week, has been restorative.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jake,
I'm so glad you're enjoying the land of my birth. I feel that the UP is one of the last areas of the country that retains its largely insular way of life. My sister and I still get treated better than my parents do when we visit because we can say that we were born there; when we moved to WA one of the little kids I played with asked what country my accent was from! My dad once ordered sourdough toast at a restaurant there when we visited, but the server had never heard of it. And during deer hunting season there are hundreds of pallets of old potatoes and carrots for sale at the gas stations to use for bait. Enjoy those pasties and the Mighty Mac, a bridge that I think tops the Golden Gate any day.
Katie Carlson
Post a Comment