June 17, 2007

Professional Tourist






I've had some people comment that it appears that I don't work at all, that I'm a professional tourist. And I'd like to point out how astute an observation that was. It is like I'm a professional tourist, but along the way I get to do theatre with kids. Ok, it's more like the other way round. Kids first then tourist.

Speaking of tourism. Today was our day off (usually reserved for driving, but we're staying here for the next week) and so Mallory and I decided to check out Lake Erie. We headed to Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island, a kinda cheap resort town where everyone drives around in golf carts. The island is full of historic homes and the Perry's Victory and International Peace Monument, honoring the American Naval victory off the island during the War of 1812. They fired off an old cannon, it was cool.

I couldn't quite figure out why this town was so popular with the local tourists. It's a nice enough place, but it doesn't seem too special to me. Perhaps it's because islands and water are fairly commonplace in Washington (and I have to say, more beautiful). It was weird to be around such a large body of water without a saltwater smell. I kept expecting it, but it never came.

Tomorrow morning, auditions to kick off our second week and our first week by ourselves. Yikers!

No comments: