I took a walk around the base at RAF Lakenheath and found a park at the end of the flight line. It may have looked peaceful with its meandering walking path and bird pond, but nothing lying directly beneath the flight path of F-15 fighter jets could be peaceful. To be so close to such impressive machines is a thrill long since forgotten by the residents on base. To them, the deafening roars and shrill whines that accompany each jet aren’t even a nuisance, just another form of white noise pushed into the background. I really must stand out on the sidewalk, gaping heavenward tracing the graceful lines each pilot cuts across the sky while everyone else goes about their business.
I can only speculate on where the planes go when the leave my sight. All I know for certain is that they take-off and land, but everything in between is a mystery. Do they make for the Scottish Highlands and dart in and out of glens, narrowly missing the rugged peaks on either side? Do they roar above the waves of the North Sea and look down on the oil derricks dotting the blue? Or do they make circles in the east of England, never straying far from home? For all I know, they could be anywhere. It’s a thrilling prospect.
I may not have have a machine capable of Mach speed, but I do have a Kia Sedona and it can take me places. And we took it to Wells-next-the-Sea on the north Norfolk coast. It’s a small town, but a popular place for a seaside visit and there’s not much a Brit loves more than a day at the beach. The sun was shining, but not without the company of an ominous black cloud reaching to the horizon. The rain held off as we walked along the beach, past the brilliantly colored cabanas and gleeful sand-covered children. With a truly British “business as usual” attitude, people enjoyed the sand and surf despite the looming rain cloud. We topped off our visit with outstanding fish ‘n’ chips, complete with mushy peas and malt vinegar. A day done well.
1 comment:
FIsh and chips better than moms?
Post a Comment