Today, Brittany and I decided to vist a nearby stone circle, the Rollright Stones. It's a stone circle dating from 3500-1500 B.C. with a nearby tomb. We found the place and walked about the stones. We noticed another couple there who walked into the field next door, but I thought nothing of it. We walked around the field to the tomb and as we were heading back towards the car, the man who was in the field said to us, "There's a crop circle out there. You should go take a look, just follow the tram ways (tractor paths). I hopped up onto a fence post to see if he was actually telling the truth and sure enough, there was something there. I'm not one to trespass, but I'm also not one to pass up the opportunity to see a crop circle.
I got out there and sure enough there were quite a few circles of varying sizes arranged in a pattern. In each circle the grain was bent flat in a spiral fashion, very neat and tidy. In the center of the circles were little arrangements like bird's nexts, triangles, or a clump of stalks left standing. I couldn't get a good perspective on what the overall pattern was, but I could tell it was a large circle with two bisecting arches. It was impressive.
The man told us it wasn't more than a couple of days old and that it was listed on www.cropcircleconnector.com. I checked out the site when I got back to the hotel and sure enough, it was reported two days ago. I stood in a fresh crop circle! There are some better overview pics on that website, here's the link: http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2009/rollrights/rollright2009.html
I guess crop circles are more common in this part of Britain than perhaps anywhere else in the world. Maybe I'll have to find another one. And whatever they may be, I can tell you, they're very cool.
1 comment:
jealous...!
Post a Comment