July 21, 2009

Stormy Weather

The first time I came to the UK I enjoyed surprisingly good weather. The only things I had heard about UK weather was rain, clouds, and a sun too shy to make sustained appearances. When I arrived, I used my rain coat sparingly and ended up seeing more sun than expected all through the fall. It wasn’t perfect weather, but it wasn’t the stereotypical gray glum I heard stories about.

Three years later I again came to Britain, this time a month earlier in August. The weather this time around may have been even better than before. There were dozens of clear, warm, and sunny days with only a smattering of rain here and there. Even as the temperature cooled and clouds became more common, the rain resisted the temptation to set up residence.

Last summer, I enjoyed a few weeks of great Pacific Northwest summer before once again setting off across the pond. Those glorious British summer and autumn days I remembered from years passed never seemed to materialize. Everywhere we went, people apologized for the weather, explaining to us that summer never arrived to this part of the world. I felt cheated out of a summer. Back home in western Washington, August and early September are the prime days of summer, but I had to spend those months in place summer had forgotten.

Now blessed with a fourth visit, I’m beginning to believe this summer will be a lot like last summer rather than my previous visits. Since we arrived a week and a half ago, we’ve only had maybe two summery days. The rest have been cool, cloudy, windy, and rainy. My sunblock has been safely nestled at the bottom of my toiletries bag, with no danger of being disturbed. My sunglasses are collecting dust and my shorts are forming permanent creases in their folded state. I’m still looking forward to summer.

Weather be damned, we’re still trying to have a good time over here. Apart from me leaving my reading glasses and iPod on the plane and some hassle with the rental car company, our time in the UK has been smooth. I’ve learned to distrust GPS devices, gotten the hang of the gearshift being on my left, and rekindled my love for British Kit Kats. Here are a few pics of our visit to Cambridge and Peterborough Cathedral. The tomb of Katherine of Aragon in Peterborough Cathedral, the discarded first wife of Henry VIII; Peterborough Cathedral and the largest Medieval painted, wooden ceiling in Europe; detail of the King's College chapel; Punters on the river Cam; and a picture in a picture.




No comments: