It's been awhile since I've posted any pictures and I have a bit of a backlog, but of course, my camera is in the truck over at J.D.'s homestay. Hopefully I'll get some long overdo pictures up here.
It's a new year and for me that means new show (The Little Mermaid) new partner (J.D.), new truck (possible name: Shunganunga the Bear), and new states (Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma so far). That's right, call me Mr. New. After a delightfully lazy two week break over Christmas that included a lot of family time and a lot of nephew time, I'm back on the road for the next five months. I headed back to Missoula the day after New Year's and was greeted at the airport by Gordon, our fleet manager. We loaded my bags into a minivan and headed into town. I came back a day early to learn my new show, The Little Mermaid, and for that reason, I was provided housing (not the case most times). While some of the folks there for training were in the motel down the street, another returning TAD and I were at Blossom's Bed and Breakfast. Now let me tell you, Blossom knows how to treat her guests. A gorgeous old craftsman-style house with top of the line decor and amenities, a pool table, complimentary wine and beer, a roaring fire, memory foam beds, and a host and hostess who love their job. If you're looking for a place to stay in Missoula, I highly recommend Blossom's.
So after running through the show, taking care of business at the office, and getting my beauty rest, I headed out on the road saddled high in my brand spankin' new Ford F-150. Compared with the Ranger I've been driving, this baby has an interior akin to the Superdome. I can't even hit the ceiling with my head if I try! And the seats recline! And there's an jack in the dash for iPods and the like! It's a much bigger ride and a much more comfortable ride. So far we like it.
We made our way to Gillette, WY the first day and stayed the night with a friend of J.D.'s. We then headed to Sioux Falls, SD, a slight detour, but a worthy one. J.D.'s sister had just given birth to his first nephew and we got to see him just 13 hours later. A cutie. After another free night at J.D.'s folks place, we headed south to the Sooner state. Every mile or so, without fail, a hawk would be perched within the naked tree branches or on a fence post or telephone pole. Like sentinels they guarded the highway. The further we drove, the sunnier it became. The further we drove, the warmer it got. The further we drove, the closer to spring we came. By the time we reached Topeka, KS it was May. At least, it felt like May--warm, sunny, and not a hint of winter in the air. The only sign of the season was the lifeless forms of the barren trees. As the sun fell, the hawks disappeared. I saw only one owl come to fill the night shift, a poor showing. We reached Oklahoma City and stepped out into the unseasonal weather.
It was over 70 degrees today and the forecast calls for below freezing temps tomorrow night. Welcome to Oklahoma, my homestay declares. I didn't expect to be sweating so much during auditions in January, but this is a new year with new surprises. We'll see what they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment